Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pictures!


Goats! My house is the red building in the back (it's also partly a church office, my house is less than half of the building).


Walking to my house! School is behind me, the village church in front and my house to the left (you can't see it). Notice the donkey. Livestock roam freely everywhere.


Laundry day! It usually takes me about 2 hours to do a week's load of laundry(dry time not included).


Some of my students!


A picture of people from a Himba village that I visited with other WorldTeach Volunteers. Himba people are said to be the most 'primitive' people left in Southern Africa. They were featured for such reasons in the recent American movie, Babies.

Sunrise pictures of one of my classrooms.


Another classroom picture!


Sign for my school.


Students gathering for the morning assembly in front of the office (the building on the left).


Gravel road that goes to the highway. This road lies in between my school and house.


My house! I live in a guest house as part of a church complex, so my house is only the last door on the right and about half the length of this building.


My school! There are three 'blocks' and 11 classrooms for the 300 students at the school.


Sunrise picture on the walk to town through the bush at 6am.


A grade 8 learner!


I like this picture a lot, I think it says quite a bit about this grade 7 learner named Titus Samuel. He's a feisty but extremely intelligent guy.


The school cultural group lining up to perform at the school's spelling competition.


This small sampling doesn't really do justice to everything that's been going on here and the 700+ pictures I've taken so far, though I hope you enjoy nonetheless! Also, I've been thinking a lot recently about how much pictures can de-contextualize and imbue entirely new meanings to a foreign culture, so please don't take what you're seeing through my Western-influence perspective of photography as a true representation of life here. I'd like to think of the pictures that I've taken as more of a way of sharing what I've learned but by no means is it a perfect way of telling the stories or shedding true light on life here.

All Best,

Griffin


2 comments:

  1. Griff, the pics are fascinating! We look forward to seeing more when you get home. So pleased that things are going well.
    Love,
    Rachel S-R

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'd love to hear about the natural world there:
    the plants, animals, weather; what about the totally different night sky? What do the people do for fun, for work, for meals?

    ReplyDelete